About Us

Sarah and Willis. 1943

Willis A. Reed

Born on December 30, 1916 in Hampton, Nebraska and then moved to Chicago, Illinois in 1934 where he felt called by God to enter the ministry. After graduating from Northern Baptist Seminary in 1942 he married Sarah Louise Price on June 30, 1942.  He felt God's calling to volunteer as a chaplain in August of 1943.  During his time in the army he and Sarah wrote to each other every day.  The letters in this website are a chronological collection that display his love for his God, his wife, and the experiences that shaped his heart for people, their souls and their need for Christ.

He has left a legacy to his family, friends, and Christ's church that can encourage us all.

After Willis and Sarah went to be with the Lord, their children and grandchildren found a treasure trove of letters that Willis and Sarah kept throughout their lives.  Their grandson Jim, son Dan, and great-granddaughter Hannah have spent many hundreds of hours cataloging and collecting these letters and the hundreds of photos that accompanied them.  We hope that through this website you would be able to appreciate how God worked through the lives of Willis and Sarah while they were apart from one another in the early years of their marriage during World War II.  We believe these letters show how God strengthened their relationship for the years to come.


Dan Reed

Willis Reed's Son

Dan was born in 1948.  He is the oldest son of Willis and Sarah Reed.  Dan taught in the public schools in Elgin, Illinois for 34 years.  He is active in the First Baptist Church in the Children's Department.  He and his wife Audrey have 3 sons and 8 grandchildren.


James and Stephanie Reed

Willis Reed's Grandson

James was born in 1975 and is the second child of Dan and Audrey Reed. He and his wife Stephanie have three children. Jim teaches in U-46 and Stephanie is a nurse. Together they lead Two Pennies Ministry.

They enter letter each, check it for accuracy and in rare cases they edit for content (occasionally Grandpa became very tired during writing).  All personal photos are from scrapbooks that Willis and Sarah kept. These have been edited and adjusted to provide more clarity.


Follow Along...

For the next three years we will publish a letter for each day that he sent one.  With the brief exception of a two week furlough at the end of January and the beginning of December ('43-'44) Willis sent a letter nearly every day.  He and Sarah also sent hundreds of pictures which we will also publish here.